Tuesday, February 09, 2010

About Us.
Chris & I met in high school. He was a senior, I was a freshman. He didn't believe it when I told him I was a mere freshman, he thought I had just moved into town. We immediately connected, but there was a problem. He was dating a friend of mine. He broke up with her just to date me. After a while the guilt got to me and I broke it off with him. Plus my parents weren't all together approving of me dating a senior. Well... shoulda woulda coulda.... He ended up marrying that friend after she turned 18, and they moved to California where he was stationed in the Navy. Soon after, he learned he was going to be stationed in Japan for two years. She did not want to go. They split instead. Sad for him, but good for me, because...
February 1998, Chris finished his Navy career and came back home to Utah. I was assistant managing at the same fast food joint I was working before he left for the Navy. When he had come home, he had gotten together with a friend of his, and had asked that friend who might still be around town that he could touch base with. He found out I was still around. He showed up at my work to talk to me. I was shocked. I hadn't seen him in a very long time. As far as I knew, he was still married. So I asked him about her. He said, "you don't know?" He had assumed I still kept in touch with her (truth of the matter is, I gave up on her many years before). I said, "I've heard rumors." (I had heard rumors, just days before his appearance in front of me. His brother Scotty had told me that as soon as Chris got home from the Navy, he was filing for divorce. They had been split for two years anyhow.) Chris then said, "All I can tell you is that I should have left her a long time ago for you." I said, "yeah right." He knew something I didn't. That we were destined to be together. We became friends again, we stayed up late into the night talking, slowly falling for each other. By June we were an official couple. By October we moved in together. In November the following year we were married.
We still live in my home town, not too far away from where I grew up. We have a beautiful family. I feel blessed and lucky to have found my soul mate.

No comments: