Wednesday, February 10, 2010

About Our Girls.


I never knew real love, happiness or fear until I became a mother! And I wouldn't trade it for the world.


Alaura Clarice, our first born, arrived in February 2005. It seemed that Chris and I just decided one day that, hey, maybe we should start a family and *boom* I was pregnant. We had a lot of fun preparing for Alaura's arrival. I had three baby showers! Totally spoiled! Lots of people have asked, how did you come up with her name? Alaura is a combination of Aurora (from Sleeping Beauty) and Laura (my best friend from childhood. Laura died of leukemia when we were 14 years old. I keep her memory alive in Alaura.) Clarice is after my grandmother (my dad's mother). Alaura is gorgeous, energetic and smart. She spoke before she ever walked! Her personality is a lot like her mom, but she has a stubborn streak that is more like her dad! She can be a drama queen at times, but she is full of life and happy. She is in her second year of preschool right now, and loves school.


Lilian Faye is our baby. She was due on Halloween 2008, but I had complications that led to me scheduling her birth a few days before her due date. I had placenta previa, and had discovered this at about my 11th week. The doctor had told me then, no strenuous activities, no lifting... he didn't even want me coughing! Which actually really scared me because I ended up with bronchitis at about 20 weeks or so. He didn't want me to go into labor on my own, if I could help it. Everything turned out fine. More than fine! Although Lilian is a tiny girl (she's about 10% on her height and weight for her age), she's my adventurous little spitfire and the happiest girl you have ever seen. She has the most beautiful blue eyes, and the longest eyelashes in the world! She is sweet and funny, and there is no stopping her when she sets her mind to something. Oh, since I explained Alaura's name... I had searched for awhile for older gothic or Victorian names, because of her Halloween due date. One day, while at work, my friends and I were kicking around names. A discussion started about characters from old scary movies or tv shows. We giggled at the thought of some of the names. I had said "how about Morticia from the Addams Family?" And my dear friend Vicki said, "or Lily Munster?" We all glanced at each other and all yelled together "Lilian!" And it stuck. Her dad didn't like it at first, but it grew on him. My friend Suzanne had thought Lilian's name had come from a Depeche Mode song "Lilian," which it didn't... but the spelling of her name did! Her middle name of Faye is after Chris' grandmother (his dad's mother).


Our girls are really Daddy's girls! But when they are sick, hurt or sad they want Mommy. Their bond is truly something special. I love that they are all ready the best of friends, and I can tell that Alaura will be Lilian's protector.

No comments: